1.12.2006

Blowing Dust

Yeah, I haven't posted for a few days. Time to blow off the dust and post once more.

My wife hates it when I blow dust off of things. She says I should use a rag to wipe the dust, but I find that much less satisfying. Blowing dust is an important step in going forward with numerous facets of life; from something as small as finishing a furniture project, to an important milestone like beginning a lifetime career.

Some recent dust-related occurances:

  • Saw Dust - I got a cool, new toy at Sears last weekend; a rotary tool. It can cut, grind, sand, etch, trim, plane, drill, cut, polish, carve, and cut. So far I used it to drill screw holes into two old, triangular desk parts. I then combined them to form a simple corner shelf.

  • Dusty Books - With my holiday vacation over, it's time to dust off the school books and get back to my studies. This quarter I'll be facing another C++ programming course, food science (mmm...science), a 4-hour evening macroeconomics class, and two Information Science classes. The first of those is a continuation of a class I took last quarter. I'm working with a group of 5 other students to develop a system to remind medical patients of their appointments via phone, email, or SMS text messages. The second is a class focusing on Competitive Intelligence (CI). Through CI techniques, a company can legally and ethically gather information about its competitors and the marketplace in general. This intelligence is then used to make better strategic business decisions.

  • Dusty Resumé - As I complete my academic obligations and prepare to return to the real world, I must chronicle what I have learned and experienced, on an 8½-11" sheet of paper, so that someone might see it and be willing to pay me money for the use of my abilities. I haven't adjusted my resumé since I was hired for my second co-op back in the summer of 2002. I've been putting it off until I complete my A+ certification, just so I have something else to add to my marketability. I'll be taking the hardware part of the test tomorrow, and the OS part sometime next week. Wish me luck!
  • 1 comment:

    Bret said...

    That's some good analogy-work with the whole dust blowing thing there, boy. Good luck this quarter!