1.03.2006

Computer #4, Update

I finally got the case, motherboard and power supply for my wife's computer. After four hours of assembly in the tight space of this cute, little case, it's not much closer to being a computer than when I started. I booted it up and it went through the normal POST and such. I thought I was in the clear. But then there was Windows. The hard drive I am using is salvaged from a non-functional Compaq Presario. When it was time for Windows to start, I got the F8 pre-start screen because the last computer was not shutdown correctly. Ok, that's not so bad. But when I selected the "Start Normally" option, the computer rebooted. When I selected "Safe Mode", the computer rebooted. I guess I've got more work to do...

1 comment:

Scot said...

I had some trouble getting the computer to boot from a CD. I had to replace the single ribbon cable with two, one for the DVD-ROM, one for the HDD. After that I got Windows reinstalled. That leaves me neck deep in the most frustrating part of computer construction: installing drivers and software. Only one blue screen of death so far, but the day is young.

As for blood, yes, there was blood. Just a small cut on my wrist from jamming the DVD-ROM in place.